Already we heard some buzzes on the Amazon appstore launch which will contain Android apps. Today Amazon officially announced their appstore developer portal. You can find the portal at developer.amazon.com. This program allows the app developers (especially for Android) to submit their apps.
The reason behind the Amazon appstore is delivering high quality Android apps for users with added trust. While Google has addressed some changes in their new Android market it still lacks the quality and security. Amazon appstore is said to be focusing on these points and to deliver a better experience to the user as well as the developer.
Here is what Amazon says why the developers should submit their apps to the Amazon appstore for Android,
- For the first time, you will have access to tens of millions of active Amazon customers.
- Amazon’s proven marketing and merchandizing features will help you get your apps discovered and in front of the right customers.
- The convenience of using an existing Amazon.com account will make it simple and easy for customers to purchase your apps – both online and on their mobile devices.
Let’s have a look on what it does do,
- The appstore will be incorporated in Amazon.com and it will also available in the mobile device. Users must enable the “Unknown sources” in their phone settings.
- The appstore will work on OS 1.6 and above and will be available only in US initially.
- Developers can submit up to 5 videos and unlimited number of images to show how the app works.
- Amazon will charge 30% of the app price for each download. Developers must pay $99 in the first year and Amazon is planning for some discounts in the fee later on.
- All the apps will be tested to ensure that it matches the Amazon guidelines.
- Amazon will apple the recommendation engine which recommends apps to the consumers based on their previous purchases.
- Consumers are required to create an Amazon account to purchase the app and the developers can have their own payment system.